The Point Of My Story

“What Will You Do With Your One Wild And Precious Life?” Mary Oliver

You will I am sure remember the very public cardiac arrest of Fabrice Muamba. The 23 year old professional footballer suffered a cardiac arrest in front of thousands of football fans at a Bolton v Tottenham match on the 17th of March 2012. It received wall to wall media coverage at the time.

Cardiac arrest in not the same as a heart attack, which although extremely serious and potentially life threatening, comes in degrees of severity. These days a great many are survivable; my dad survived two heart attacks, several years apart, before succumbing to a third.

Here in the UK those who are unfortunate enough to experience cardiac arrest – dropping dead – have an 8% chance of survival, or to put it another way, a 92% chance of staying dead… but that’s not the point of my story.

Fabrice had a huge amount of extremely good fortune. Qualified, competent medical personnel directly on hand to administer resuscitation.

An assertive consultant cardiac surgeon who was spectating in the crowd and who was able to get involved in Fabrice’s emergency treatment.

The same consultant also managed to get the ambulance containing Fabrice diverted to the specialist London Chest Hospital where he continued to receive the best possible care.

He was discharged from hospital just as I was finishing this article and is now on the way to recovery, though his career as a professional footballer must be in doubt…but that’s not the point of my story.

Question…Do you think, just before the game, as Fabrice prepared himself for the football match, he imagined that he might drop dead on the football pitch?

 

At about the same time as all this was going on, I became aware that the popular singing artiste James Morrison had released his ‘latest single’ it is called ‘One Life’ and as the title suggests, he is reminding us that we do indeed only have one life.

On a personal side note, a good friend of mine in the European FIRO Network, became so impressed with this that after completing her FIRO Training she re-named her consultancy ‘One Life’ to remind herself and her clients of this simple, powerful fact…but that’s not the point of my story.

The principal reason why people sign up to the FIRO Phase I Programme is because they want to learn how to use a powerful method to facilitate change in others. They often discover during the process of learning that there is some aspect of themselves they wish to change too—even though they may not have been fully aware of this at the time of signing up.

FIRO Theory gently reminds us that we have only one life. It asserts that we are accountable to ourselves for the choices we make in creating our one life and that any limits placed on our lives—are self imposed.

In revealing our deeper personal values and motivations FIRO enables us to create a renewed sense of purpose and focus. Many participants describe this effect as liberating.

The point of my story can be summed up in the following quote…

“None of us is promised tomorrow.
Today, in all its beauty, is all we have.” [unknown]

No one is promised tomorrow, not you, not me, no one! Of course we all [probably] expect to have our tomorrows and days thereafter. But the real point of this story is, the changes You wish to achieve in yourself and your life, the You that you wish to become, is within your grasp and only your grasp, no one else can do it for you. And the time to start is right now, this very moment, not tomorrow…

“You only get one life, so make sure you live it right”
James Morrison

The next FIRO Theory Phase I Development Programme will run from the
10th — 14th  November 2014, in Central London.

£895.00 plus VAT. Early Bird Discount Available Until 30th of September 2014.

Here Are Full Programme Details »»